ORGANIC MENTAL DISORDER
An organic mental disorder is a mental condition that resulted from another medical disease. The mental functioning is affected due to a physical disease or a medical condition. It is not caused by a psychiatric disease. The damages caused by organic mental disorder can be prevented.
The following are causes of organic mental disorder:
Trauma to the brain can cause mental disorder and so is intracerebral and subarachnoid hemorrhage and blood clot inside the skull causing pressure, also called subdural hematoma.
If there is low oxygen in the body or hypoxia, the brain is affected. This will cause brain damage. Also hypercapnia or high level of carbon dioxide in the body can cause brain damage.
Cardiovascular diseases such as stroke, heart infections, transient ischemic attack are some examples can cause organic mental disease
Examples are, Alzheimer disease, Huntington disease, Parkinson disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Diffuse Lewy Body Disease, and Pick Disease
Dementia due to Metabolic Causes
Kidney disease, liver disease, thyroid diseases, and vitamin deficiency
Examples are encephalitis, septicemia, any onset acute or chronic infection, meningitis, and late-stage syphilis
There are also complications from diseases such as cancer that can cause organic mental disorder.
The warning signs of organic mental disorder are almost the same as any mental illness.
Many conditions are treated through rehabilitation and supportive care. Sometimes medication might be needed to reduce aggression from patients that can sometimes occur with some of the medical conditions.
There are several types of Organic Mental Disorders. Examples are:
- Organic Hallucinosis – individuals who have this type may have hallucinations that can greatly affect their lives.
- Organic Catatonic Disorder – motor skills are affected.
- Organic Delusional Disorder – this occurs when an individual with this type or OMD believes that something is true or something exists even if it is not.
- Organic Mood Disorder – this type can cause depression and mania
- Organic Anxiety Disorder – Anxiety caused by being in public places.
- Organic Emotionally Labile Disorder – Characterized by extreme mood swings.
- Organic Personality Disorder – this happens if a person cannot fit well into society
If you think you are suffering from Organic Mental Disorder you should seek medical assistance. You may also be entitled to Social Security Disability Benefits. The SSA considered Organic Mental Disorder as a medical condition that would make you eligible for SSDI and SSI. Social Security Administration (SSA) maintains a “Listing of Medical Impairments” (known as the blue book) that automatically qualify you for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI).