Call us at

Call us at

Hyperfunction of Adrenal Cortex

The adrenal cortex is the outer portion of the adrenal gland and produces steroid hormones which regulate the carbohydrate and fat metabolism and mineralocorticoid hormones which regulates salt and water balance in the body.

If the adrenal cortex is active or the adrenal cortex has hyperfunction it results in Cushing Syndrome and adrenogenital syndrome.

The hormone that is overproduced is the cortisol. The function of the hormone cortisol is to maintain or regulate the body’s many changes especially in instances when the body has to respond to stress and a host of other responses such as:

  • Blood sugar levels
  • Responses of the immunity
  • Central nervous system activation
  • Heart and blood vessel tone and contraction
  • Blood pressure

Although cortisol is important to the body and the adrenal cortex may need to produce more to respond to stress, it is imperative that the cortisol level will return to normal. However, if there is too much cortisol in the body, it can lead to certain health problems and in rare cases Cushing syndrome.

Cushing syndrome occurs when there is too much cortisol is produced by the gland. Signs and symptoms include:

  • Upper body obesity or excessive fat on top of the back
  • There is increased libido
  • Thin arms and legs
  • There is severe muscle weakness
  • Hypertension
  • High blood sugar
  • Easy bruising
  • The face is abnormally large or round
  • Loss of scalp hair
  • Increased body and facial hair

Cause

The condition occurs when almost 90% of both adrenal glands are destroyed, an occurrence that typically results from an autoimmune reaction. The other 10% is usually because of an infection, histoplasmosis neoplasms and hemorrhage into the adrenal gland.

For more information about Hyperfunction of the Adrenal Cortex, please visit the following links:
https://www.medicinenet.com
https://medlineplus.gov
http://www.checkorphan.org

If you think you are suffering from Hyperfunction of the Adrenal Cortex you should seek medical assistance. You may also be entitled to Social Security Disability Benefits. The SSA considered Hyperfunction of the Adrenal Cortex as a medical condition that would make you eligible for SSDI and SSI. Social Security Administration (SSA) maintains a “Listing of Medical Impairments” (known as the blue book) that automatically qualify you for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI).